Monday, July 4, 2016

Marcella Rudick: Live to Dance

My daughter Marcie seems to have inherited and improved upon the kindness gene. She is exceptionally considerate as a daughter and as a friend. I’ve never heard her speak disparagingly of one friend to another.

Raising my daughter was easy. I never once wanted, needed, or tried to push her anywhere — except perhaps to preschool, but we won’t go there now. I simply followed her lead and reveled in the joy she provided me along the way.

When my daughter was a teenager, the dance studio she and her friends loved was in danger of closing due to the owner’s retirement. My wife and I decided to buy it to keep it open. We created a “center for the arts” that showcased dance, but also hosted a monthly artists’ gallery and occasional concerts.

Shortly after we purchased the studio but before opening, we were on vacation in Taos, New Mexico, where we heard a couple called “Acoustic Eidolon” play a guitjo, which is a 14-string, double-necked cross between a guitar and banjo, paired with the cello. The splendor of the night sky was only exceeded by the sound of their music. We moved inside to watch them in awe as Joe went from neck to neck playing his guitjo, while Hanna complemented perfectly with her cello playing.

Amazingly, they were coming east in the fall, when we were planning to open our space. They played at our first showcase. They were so good, in fact, that they became our “house band,” coming to perform whenever they traveled east. When their album Live to Dance came out, our artistic director Jamie Kinney choreographed a dance to that tune. What joy to hear them perform and watch my daughter and her friends dance to “Live to Dance.”

Like Marcie, I wish to embrace life. Unlike me, my daughter has her whole life ahead of her to dance through and embrace. Thank you, Marcie, for bringing me such joy and teaching me such exuberance.

Behind this good writer is a great editor; Mark Bloom. Learn more about Mark's talents at 


Live to Dance is an instrumental written by Joe Scott and performed by Acoustic Eidolon. I humbly recommend this music to everyone. You can see them play the song here: 



No comments:

Post a Comment